|Acquired by the Museum:||1976|
|Current State:||Restored as static exhibit|
This tramcar was No.33 in the Ipswich Corporation Tramways fleet and was delivered during 1904. It was built by the Brush Electrical Engineering Co. of Loughborough, with Westinghouse electrical equipment and was mounted on a 6ft wheelbase Brush AA type truck fitted with track brakes. Seating is provided for 24 passengers on reversible seats on the open upper deck and 26 passengers on longitudinal seats in the lower saloon. Access to the upper deck is by reversed spiral stairs and the platforms, where the motorman stood to drive the tram, are open to the elements.
Withdrawn in 1926 when the trams were replaced by trolleybuses, No.33 was sold for scrap and, stripped of its truck, electrical equipment, stairs and upper deck, became a store shed in a garden at Claydon. After 50 years it was rescued by the Museum and regarded as a long-term restoration project.
Then in 1994 a suitable replacement truck, with electrical equipment, was purchased from Lisbon in Portugal enabling the tram body to be placed upon it for display. The truck is a 21E type, similar to the original and fitted with track brakes, but is 6in longer and 6in narrower so will require an expensive reconstruction to enable the tram to ever become operational. However, Museum volunteers were successful in raising enough funds to enable them to undertake the full restoration of the rest of the tram between 2002 and 2012 and it is now displayed on a replica section of granite sett paved track.
Some pictures of the restoration progress are
now available here.