|Trolleybus Switchgear Room|
Ipswich Borough Council generated its own electricity when Priory Heath Trolleybus depot
was opened in 1937, so the building contained its own electricity substation
along with a large switch panel. This allowed the trolleybus electricity supply to be
controlled for individual roads in the surrounding area. When trolleybus operation finished
in 1963, the power was just switched off, and the switchgear left where it was!
|Acquired by the Museum:||1988|
|Current State:||As switched off in 1963|
At some point, the mercury arc rectifiers were removed, but the rest of the equipment
was left untouched until the Museum took over the building. Basic cleaning is all that has
been necessary for the equipment.