This purpose built tower wagon was purchased in 1948 in expectation of a
large expansion of the Ipswich trolleybus system
in the post-war period.
In fact this vehicle was more fully employed in dismantling the trolleybus
network over a 12 year period.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1986|
|Current State:||Fully restored and operational|
The chassis is an A.E.C. Monarch fitted
with a 7.7 litre diesel engine and an Eagle tower. A capacious crew cab is
provided with work bench and storage facilities for trolleybus overhead
line fittings. After the closure of the trolleybus system in 1963 it was
retained as a towing vehicle until 1986, when it was purchased by the Museum.
Restoration work commenced on the exterior and mechanics of the vehicle in 1990
and this was completed in 1994.