|Smiths/NCB Electric Milk Float|
This electric milk float was built by Smiths Industries and Northern
Coachbuilders for Ipswich Co-op and delivered to them in January 1948. It
was registered PV 8337 and allocated fleet number E56D, being one of many
similar vehicles delivered at that time to replace the last horse drawn
delivery carts operated by Ipswich Co-op.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1975|
Few changes were made to the
vehicle, other than regular replacement of batteries and the conversion of
the windows to rubber mounting. In common with other battery vehicles this
had a long service life of 27 years, being withdrawn in 1975, when it was
presented to the Museum.