|Ipswich Trolleybus No 105|
Registered PV 8270, this vehicle was constructed in 1948 with a Karrier W chassis and Park Royal double deck bodywork, seating 30 upstairs and 26 downstairs. This vehicle originally had wooden slatted 'utility' seats, although these were replaced with second-hand leather seats after a few years.
The bus was withdrawn in April 1962 and converted firstly to a mobile Civil Defence showroom and then a temporary canteen. It remained with Ipswich Corporation until 1971 when it was purchased for preservation.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1971|
The vehicle was restored over a 10 year period from 2003. It has been restored to operational condition. The rebuilding included replicas of the original wooden seats, taking out and rebuilding the staircase and complete renewal of the interior trim. Externally the vehicle was stripped to a bare frame before being reassembled, using as many original components as possible.