This vehicle was delivered new to the Ipswich Fire Brigade in November 1938,
and carries the registration PV 4974. It was the first fully enclosed fire
engine in the Ipswich fleet and this made it unpopular with crews in the
early part of its life. It remained based at Ipswich until the early 1950s
(apart from a period on loan to London during the Blitz in 1940) when it
was transferred to Sudbury, where it remained until withdrawn from active
service in 1959.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1976|
|Current State:||Fully restored and operational|
It then spent 8 years as a training machine before being
purchased for preservation in 1967. After a few years attending rallies it
was dismantled for restoration, a long process, which was finally completed
in 1986. It is presently fitted with a Bayley 50' wheeled escape ladder,
although originally fitted with a lightweight metal ladder.