New to Eastern Counties in 1949, this vehicle, registered KNG 374, was one
of the standard lowbidge height double deckers allocated to the area. The
lowbridge height was necessary due to some of the low railway bridges in
the area, the Ipswich depot was even built to a low height, some 18"
lower than standard, and consequently couldn't house full height vehicles!
These vehicles had an offset upstairs gangway which caused a low ceiling
along one side of the downstairs of the bus, this meant that the seating
upstairs was in rows of 4, instead of 2 sets of 2 seats. The 6
cylinder Bristol engine was replaced by a 5 cylinder Gardener engine at
some point in its service life.
This vehicle makes a welcome replacement
for LK299 which used to be owned by the Museum, but was broken up by
persons unknown when stored before the Museum was established. LK374 is
thought to be the last Eastern Counties vehicle of this type still in
The bus was restored by Museum volunteers in 2007, with generous financial support from the Heritage Lottry Fund.