Ipswich Transport History
reached Ipswich back in 1846 and provided vital links from the
area to London. This provided links from the Port of Ipswich, enabling
goods to arrive from overseas and be moved to other parts of the country,
instead of just using the local rivers - the Orwell, Deben and the Gipping.
Ipswich itself has been through the full spread of local public transport
changes throughout the years. Starting off with a
horse tram system in 1880,
with competition being provided by a rival
horse bus operation. An
electric tram system
replaced the horse tram system, and was in turn replaced by a
trolleybus system in the 1920s, which led on to a
motorbus system. This has evolved into
Ipswich buses, one of the few bus
companies left in the country still owned by the council.
Eastern Counties, now a First Bus owned company, provided rural bus services
which can trace their history back to the
Eastern Counties Roadcar Company,
which was established back in 1919.
The area also has a strong connection with aviation, being host to a large
number of military bases over the years, and more recently Ipswich
Airport, which closed in 1996 to make way for a housing estate, which is currently