|Ransomes Electric Lorry No. 1|
Constructed in 1914, this vehicle was the prototype of the 'Orwell' range
of lorries produced by RS&J. After some time as a demonstrator it was
registered DX 1664 in May 1916 and was sold to the City of Birmingham
Electric Supply Department as a tipper lorry. It returned to Ransomes in
1919 and became part of their works fleet. When it was withdrawn in 1963
it was placed on loan to an enthusiast in Southend where it remained until
returning to Ipswich in 1966 to be placed on permanent loan to the Museum.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1966|
|Current State:||Fully restored and operational|
It has been rebuilt over its life and is no longer a tipper although it
does retain the motors driving directly onto the front wheels. The
original solid tyres were converted to pneumatic at some point in its life.
It is currently painted in the livery of Ipswich Co-operative Society.