A small four wheel timber tractor unit built by Mercury Truck and Tractor
Co., it was new to William Browns in Ipswich during 1954 and registered
CDX 894. It was used for timber haulage in and around the docks area until
the mid 1970s. A feature of these vehicles is that the release of the
trailer is by operating a lever inside the cab - there is no safety device
to prevent a trailer from being disengaged whilst on the move! The vehicle
was obtained for the Museum in 1974.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1974|
|Current State:||Restored to static condition|
Over the last few years the chassis
has been overhauled and the bodywork completely rebuilt with authentic
materials to the original design. The seat has also been reupholstered as
part of the restoration. A few details are still needed to complete the
Obtained by the Museum in November 1991, this adjustable length trailer was
used behind vehicles like the Mercury Tractor for the transport of timber
between the dockside and wood yards. It is believed to date from the
1920s due to its solid tyred wheels and general appearance.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1991|
|Current State:||As acquired, unrestored||
A second timber trailer is also in the collection. It differs in that
it has pneumatic tyres and a higher loading platform.