This bus, registered BPV 9, was new to
Ipswich Corporation Transport
in 1953, and was a member of a batch of six similar vehicles
obtained to replace the remaining single deck trolleybuses on the route
along Bramford Road to Adair Road Circle. The chassis is the AEC Regal IV
with underfloor 9.6 litre engine and pre-select gearbox. The bodywork is
by Park Royal with seating for 42, with Front Entrance/Rear Exit
arrangement. Originally the vehicles were used as ‘crew’ (ie driver and conductor) operated buses, just as the trolleybuses they replaced. The rear door used was used for boarding and the front door used as an exit. When converted to ‘one man’ buses the arrangement was reversed, and passengers entered at the front to pay the driver.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1990|
|Current State:||Partially restored; not currently on display|
The bus was withdrawn in 1973 and No 9 was sold to Mr. J Prior. Originally No 10 was retained in the Museum collection. During the 1970’s and early 1980’s, outside storage took its toll on No 10, and following the death of Mr. Prior in late 1990, the Museum acquired No.9. BPV 10 has been dismantled as a source of spare parts for the restoration of BPV 9 and the remains scrapped.