This horse drawn bakers van was operated by Newmarket Co-op. The axle ends
have R.A.C.S. stamped on them, so it may have been built by the Royal
Arsenal Co-op Society, and possibly operated by them originally. It is
believed to date from 1902. It is similar to a large fleet once operated by
Ipswich Co-op from their bakery in Cauldwell Hall Road. This fleet was
gradually replaced during the 1930s by battery operated bread vans, but the
last horse drawn vans survived until the mid 1950s.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1972|
|Current State:||As acquired, unrestored|
The vehicle was purchased by the Museum in 1972.