This was the first motorbus purchased by Ipswich Corporation in 1950 to
open up new routes to developing areas of the town which did not, at that
stage, warrant a trolleybus service. The vehicle is registered ADX 1 and
entered service in May 1950. The chassis is the AEC Regent III with pre
select gearbox and 9.6 litre diesel engine, whilst bodywork is by Park
Royal and can carry 56 seated passengers. This particular bus remained in
service with Ipswich until July 1973 when it was purchased by the Museum.
|Acquired by the Museum:||1973|
|Current State:||Fully restored and on display in the museum|
During 1980 the bus was externally restored and repainted for the Centenary of Public Transport in Ipswich celebrations. Ten years later, in 1990, the interior was refurbished and ADX 1 was recertified as a ‘Passenger Service Vehicle’ with financial support of Martin and Newby of Ipswich. The vehicle was used by the museum until 2003, and after a period on display was made operational again from 2010.